Home » , » 'I am barely alive': war reporter's Angola memoir made into animated film

'I am barely alive': war reporter's Angola memoir made into animated film

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, October 2, 2018 | 7:34 AM

Another Day of Life also uses documentary to translate the horror and poetry of Ryszard Kapuściński’s book

In November 1975, Ryszard Kapuściński telexed his editor in Warsaw to plead for permission to return home from Angola. The era of Portuguese colonialism was ending, the fight for independence that would become one of the many proxy battlefields of the cold war was intensifying and, after three months spent on dangerous roads and in a capital city growing more paranoid and hallucinatory by the day, the Polish Press Agency reporter was spent.

“My money ran out and I am barely alive,” he wrote. “It is more or less clear what will happen, which is that the Angolans will win, but it is going to take a while and I am on my last legs.”

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment