Home » , » Shappi Khorsandi withdraws book from Jhalak prize longlist

Shappi Khorsandi withdraws book from Jhalak prize longlist

Written By Unknown on Friday, January 6, 2017 | 2:11 PM

The comedian and writer, who was nominated for the prize for writers of colour, says she ‘felt like my skin colour was up for an award rather than my book’

Comedian Shappi Khorsandi has withdrawn her novel from the longlist for a new British book prize exclusively for writers of colour because she “felt like my skin colour was up for an award rather than my book”.

The 12-book longlist for the inaugural Jhalak prize was announced on Thursday. The prize was established to recognise excellence among British writers of Black, Asian and minority ethnicities (BAME) and inspire publishers within the industry to “look beyond the present narrow margins”.

Because my novel is nothing to do with ethnic identity. Felt like my skin colour was up for an award rather than my book https://t.co/MQk9JzmkHW

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment