Home » , » Isobelle Carmody on Daniel Findlay's 'novel of revelation'

Isobelle Carmody on Daniel Findlay's 'novel of revelation'

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, September 27, 2017 | 2:04 PM

The acclaimed fantasy author dives into the apocalyptic world of Findlay’s ambitious first novel, Year of the Orphan

I have always been fascinated by apocalyptic visions, as a writer and as a reader.

I wrote my first novel, set after an apocalypse, at 14. I wanted to find out if I could believe that humans would evolve morally and ethically after an ultimate lesson. But, at its most profound level, the novel expressed and explored my confusion and grief at my father’s death and the drunk driver who killed him. The fictional apocalypse I imagined is effectively my father’s death. What could be more like an apocalypse for a child, after all, than the death of a beloved parent?

Related: Toni Jordan on her favourite new writer: ‘You should be reading Briohny Doyle’

Related: The big book about small town Australia that travelled the world

Continue reading...

via Science fiction | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2fRsrz2

0 comments:

Post a Comment