Home » , » William Gibson: ‘I was losing a sense of how weird the real world was'

William Gibson: ‘I was losing a sense of how weird the real world was'

Written By Unknown on Saturday, January 11, 2020 | 4:09 AM

The writer who invented ‘cyberspace’ – and possibly the most influential living sci-fi author – on the challenges of keeping up with a reality even stranger than fiction

In 2016, William Gibson was a third of the way through his new novel when Donald Trump was elected president of the United States. “I woke up the day after that and I looked at the manuscript and the world in which the novel was set – a contemporary novel set in San Francisco – and I realised that that world no longer existed. That the characters’ emotional basis made no sense; that no one’s behaviour made any sense. Something of this tremendous enormity had just happened and I felt really lost – and sort of mournful. I was losing this book.”

The great chronicler of the future had been overtaken by events. This had happened once before. Gibson had been 100 pages into Pattern Recognition – the first of his novels set in a near contemporary version of reality – when the Twin Towers fell, forcing him to rewrite that novel’s world and the backstories of its characters. His future had to catch up with the present.

If someone claiming to be from the future had shown me Boris Johnson I’d have told him to fuck off

Every fiction about the future is like an ice-cream cone, melting as it moves into the future

Continue reading...

via Science fiction books | The Guardian https://ift.tt/35E4v9b

0 comments:

Post a Comment