Home » , » Doctor Who, Star Wars, Alien … why do we love novelisations?

Doctor Who, Star Wars, Alien … why do we love novelisations?

Written By Unknown on Friday, September 6, 2019 | 7:27 AM

As a child in the lost age before video on demand, these screen-to-book stories drew me further into sci-fi – as well as many authors working today

The death this week of Terrance Dicks, the prolific Dr Who writer who penned more than 60 novels extending the TV Time Lord’s adventures, made me realise something: I love novelisations.

The appeal of my stack of those old slim Target paperbacks, written by the likes of Dicks, Malcolm Hulke and others, was obvious in my childhood, growing up as I did at the tail end of the Jon Pertwee years. Tom Baker was “my” Doctor, so the chances of ever seeing the old William Hartnell or Patrick Troughton adventures were absolutely zero. In the days before endless repeats and on-demand viewing, paperbacks were the only way I could experience those stories.

Continue reading...

via Science fiction books | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2ZTR4PM

0 comments:

Post a Comment