Home » , » Richell prize: Ruth McIver wins literary award for 'unforgettable' crime novel

Richell prize: Ruth McIver wins literary award for 'unforgettable' crime novel

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, November 7, 2018 | 3:11 AM

Judges for the $10,000 prize said I Shot the Devil was an ‘atmospheric and chillingly entertaining’ novel by an emerging writer of considerable talent

Read an extract from Ruth McIver’s winning novel, I Shot the Devil

When Ruth McIver learned two weeks ago that her novel had won the $10,000 Richell Prize for Emerging Writers, she had trouble keeping the news to herself. “It’s been a little weird knowing,” she told Guardian Australia. “I don’t have a good poker face.”

To add to the difficulty, McIver felt that her literary luck had changed very suddenly. Having been a writer for a decade with a couple of novel drafts under her belt, she entered a swathe of competitions – something she did every year. But this time, her work started to place.

Related: Helen Garner's Monkey Grip makes me examine who I am | Charlotte Wood

Related: I couldn't write about my mother's death, so I wrote a story for young people instead

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment