Home » , » Wole Soyinka urges Nigeria's youth to stand for election and oust 'old fogies'

Wole Soyinka urges Nigeria's youth to stand for election and oust 'old fogies'

Written By Unknown on Friday, September 28, 2018 | 9:18 AM

Nobel laureate bemoans attacks on girls’ education and calls on young people to mobilise politically in run-up to February poll

Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has urged youth to mobilise before next year’s election in Nigeria in the hope that that a new, potentially female leader can emerge to “radically transform” the country.

“It desperately needs a committed idealist who can build a team around himself or herself and just tell these old fogies to go and take a rest,” said the Nigerian poet and playwright.

“I don’t romanticise youth, I’m just saying I’m tired of my generation.”

If young people combine forces they can get rid of the old brigade. I tell them: ‘Don’t sit there grumbling, mobilise'

Related: 'I'm tired of the suffering': how poverty-stricken families struggle to survive in Nigeria | Isaac Linus

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment