Home » , » Is the future female? Fixing sci-fi’s women problem

Is the future female? Fixing sci-fi’s women problem

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, August 29, 2018 | 8:28 AM

When sci-fi fan Molly Flatt was asked to write a story about women in the future, she re-examined her relationship with the male-dominated genre – and why she remained immune to ‘the Scully effect’

Recently, I was asked if I could write a short story for a science fiction collection about “women inventing the future”. Could I write it in four weeks? I considered it. I have three day jobs, a two-year-old and was then knee deep in promotion for my debut novel. Out of those four weeks, I figured I’d have three days to write the thing – if granny could step up. “No problem,” I said breezily, and hung up. Then I panicked.

What on earth did “women inventing the future” mean? Was I supposed to write some sort of feminist space opera, full of menstruating aliens? A utopian version of the singularity, with robots who liked to talk about their feelings? A vision of a social media platform so woke and teeming with empathy that Zuckerberg would jack in Facebook and invest?

In my experience, kids are far more gender– (and sometimes, species–) blind than we give them credit for

Related: In science fiction, the future is feminist | Laurie Penny

Related: Dystopian dreams: how feminist science fiction predicted the future

Continue reading...

via Science fiction books | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2LF0w2a

0 comments:

Post a Comment