Home » , » Charles I's 'message for the future' discovered in poetry book

Charles I's 'message for the future' discovered in poetry book

Written By Unknown on Thursday, July 5, 2018 | 1:40 AM

Former University Challenge presenter Bamber Gascoigne inherited the library from which it hails and is auctioning its treasures to raise money for an arts centre

“While I breathe, I hope.” This “cryptic message” discovered in a copy of The Faerie Queene reveals it to be one of the books Charles I read during his final imprisonment. The volume is just one of the treasures from the library at West Horsley Place that the television presenter Bamber Gascoigne is selling at auction to raise money to turn it into a cultural centre.

“It just looked like an interesting first edition, probably of some value to a collector,” Gascoigne said, “but Sotheby’s cleverly discovered the writing and the phraseology meant it was one of the books Charles I had been reading while waiting for his execution.”

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment