Home » , » Suffragette heir pens child’s guide to ‘fantastic women’

Suffragette heir pens child’s guide to ‘fantastic women’

Written By Unknown on Saturday, February 10, 2018 | 7:10 PM

Kate Pankhurst releases follow-up after selling 100,000 copies of children’s book that redresses gender imbalance

For most of her life, children’s author and illustrator Kate Pankhurst had no idea she was distantly related to Emmeline Pankhurst, and a cousin of the suffragette’s direct descendants. “I was in my 20s when I found out about our family connection, but because of my surname, Emmeline’s story has followed me all my life, and my awareness of her struggle and what she stood for has been an influence on my work.”

Related: On the centenary of the 1918 suffrage act, what does suffrage actually mean?

Related: Must monsters always be male? Huge gender bias revealed in children’s books

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment