Home » , » How I beat anorexia by savouring the lavish meals of literature

How I beat anorexia by savouring the lavish meals of literature

Written By Unknown on Saturday, February 17, 2018 | 7:21 AM

Laura Freeman had the eating disorder since her teens, but the enticing food conjured by Charles Dickens and Laurie Lee set her free

Laura Freeman was first diagnosed with anorexia aged 14. A decade later she had begun to rebuild her life but still struggled with her attitude to food, eating small portions of the same thing for months on end. “At 24, I’d got to the point where I was recovered enough that I could eat, but only in a very formulaic way,” she says. “I had a pretty boring diet. It was more about getting through each day.”

Then one day she read a passage in Siegfried Sassoon’s 1928 Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man describing “a breakfast of boiled eggs eaten in winter”. It changed everything.

There was comfort in being able to think: I’m not in my sick room in London in February, I’m in Paris with Nancy Mitford

I really loved TH White’s The Once and Future King … In particular Merlin’s advice to his young apprentice

Related: Why we fell for clean eating

Related: 'People shouldn't have to move': getting care for an eating disorder

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment