Home » , » Ursula K Le Guin, sci-fi and fantasy author, dies at 88

Ursula K Le Guin, sci-fi and fantasy author, dies at 88

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 | 8:13 PM

The multi award-winning writer of The Left Hand of Darkness and A Wizard of Earthsea has died at her home in Portland, Oregon

Ursula K Le Guin, the award-winning fantasy and science fiction author, has died at the age of 88.

Le Guin’s books have sold millions worldwide and won her a number of prestigious accolades, including Hugo and Nebula awards for her 1969 novel The Left Hand of Darkness.

I just learned that Ursula K. Le Guin has died. Her words are always with us. Some of them are written on my soul. I miss her as a glorious funny prickly person, & I miss her as the deepest and smartest of the writers, too. Still honoured I got to do this: https://t.co/U4mma5pJMw

Ursula Le Guin is such an enormous loss. Won't be summarized in a few words, or even many. One aspect: she was, right to the end - to NOW - vital, engaged, necessary, contributing so much. This is an en evening to mourn a giant.

I’m fumbling for the words to properly express how much Ursula Le Guin’s work has meant to me, and that’s no way to commemorate a writer, so I’ll say no more until I can say it better. #UrsulaLeGuin

I'll have more to say about Ursula Le Guin's passing, probably tomorrow. But for now, "God damn it" will suffice.

Related: David Mitchell on Earthsea – a rival to Tolkien and George RR Martin

Ursula Le Guin spoke to all writers: "The name of our beautiful reward is not profit. Its name is freedom." I was lucky enough to spend an afternoon with her, drinking green tea and asking her questions https://t.co/1YQELvESEk

Related: 'She makes the ordinary feel as important as the epic': the gift of Ursula Le Guin

Continue reading...

via Science fiction | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2BnCAve

0 comments:

Post a Comment