Home » , » James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Narnia – the books we most pretend to have read

James Bond, Lord of the Rings, Narnia – the books we most pretend to have read

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, May 2, 2017 | 4:13 AM

Fleming, Tolkien and CS Lewis are the authors that people most claim – falsely – to have read. But why? And how does this year’s most-fibbed-about list compare with those of previous years?

A few years ago, while working at a regional newspaper, I had to interview a local author about his self-published novel. It was a 500-page brick of a thriller with tiny, close type, a good third of which a professional editor would cheerfully have hacked out.

“What did you think?” the writer demanded. “Oh, I loved it,” I blithely lied, having managed about two pages before it brought on a migraine. He then quizzed me on the finer points of the sprawling, outlandish plot, and the individual characteristics and motivations of the cast of thousands. By the end , I was so exhausted I might as well have read the damn thing. But I think I got away with it.

Related: Our guilty secrets: the books we only say we've read

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment