Home » , » Rachel Cooke’s best graphic books of 2016

Rachel Cooke’s best graphic books of 2016

Written By Unknown on Sunday, December 4, 2016 | 2:37 AM

From dazzling biographies to fantastic fantasy and wry observation, the year’s graphic books would make great Christmas presents

When I began writing about graphic novels a decade ago, I remember worrying slightly about the supply line: would I really be able to find a good one to review every month? And it was tricky, sometimes. But what a difference 10 years has made. I’m now in the awful business of running a beauty pageant: I have too many darlings, not too few. This year, especially, has been a bumper one. Memoirs, novels, biographies, reissued classics: if there isn’t something to suit everyone on the bulging list that follows, I’ll eat my copy of Persepolis.

First, memoir. It seems sometimes to be taking over, and this is as true in the world of graphic books as elsewhere in literature. Regular readers will know that I was waiting anxiously for the second volume of The Arab of the Future (Two Roads £18.99), Riad Sattouf’s series of comics about his childhood in France and the Middle East, and when it arrived, it did not disappoint. But aAnyway, a reminder: it’s truly great. Picking up the story in 1984, when Riad is six, the Sattoufs are now back in Ter Maaleh, Syria, a situation that seems not to be making any of them very happy. Funny, dark and occasionally revelatory, this and its predecessor are my graphic memoirs of the year.

Hot Dog Taste Test is a ribald skewering of foodie culture, funny, weird and definitely not for the clean-eating brigade

Continue reading...

via Science fiction | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2gUKovP

0 comments:

Post a Comment