Home » , » Rep John Lewis tells National Book awards how he was refused entry to library because he was black

Rep John Lewis tells National Book awards how he was refused entry to library because he was black

Written By Unknown on Thursday, November 17, 2016 | 10:53 AM

US congressman shares childhood story of public library colour bar at NBA ceremony, as Colson Whitehead and historian Ibram X Kendi also earn accolades

Civil-rights campaigner and congressman John Lewis was in tears as he accepted America’s National Book award for young people’s literature in Manhattan on Wednesday night, speaking of how as a child he had been turned away from the public library for being black.

Related: John Lewis: 'I don’t think I’ve changed much. I still consider myself an activist'

Related: Colson Whitehead: 'My agent said: Oprah. I said: Shut the front door'

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment