Home » , » Books to give you hope: Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel

Books to give you hope: Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel

Written By Unknown on Thursday, August 18, 2016 | 3:17 AM

I hate apocalyptic fiction. But this tale of the end of a civilisation shows how even in the ruins, humanity can preserve its virtues

There ain’t a lot of hope at the end of the world. And I really, really hate apocalyptic fiction. So my choice for the books to give you hope series? Emily St John Mandel’s Station Eleven: a book about the end of the world.

When Station Eleven was first published almost two years ago, I read the press release, flipped through it and put it on my pile of books I’ll probably never get round to. I didn’t need another dose of post-apocalyptic bleakness in my life.

Related: Station Eleven review – Emily St John Mandel’s haunting dystopian vision

No more diving into pools of chlorinated water.

No more porch lights with moths fluttering on summer nights.

While survival is vital, it isn’t enough. We must live as well as survive, because otherwise what’s the point?

Related: Literary dystopias with Emily St John Mandel and Clemens J Setz – podcast

Continue reading...

via Science fiction | The Guardian http://ift.tt/2b2PYLl

0 comments:

Post a Comment