Home » » Fair play: can literary festivals pay their way?

Fair play: can literary festivals pay their way?

Written By Unknown on Saturday, May 28, 2016 | 3:18 AM

With authors demanding payment and overheads tight, organisers are under increasing pressure. What does the future look like?

I think the truth hit last summer, when I was at a festival to interview a group of writers. It was not a literary festival per se, but a combination of music, theatre, comedy and debates, in among which there stood a doughty literature tent, made rustic by the odd hay bale. What one noticed most, though, was the food: an endless vista of eating opportunities, from crepes to dirty burgers to artisanal pizzas to anything but a cheese sandwich.

Mistakenly, given my temperament and my knees, I had opted to camp, albeit in a motor vehicle rather than under canvas. Making my way through the site to literature HQ, I heard a couple of young guys catching sight of a chum. “Hey!” they chirped. “Sweet tent, man! Where’d you get it?” “Harrods,” came the reply.

Continue reading...

0 comments:

Post a Comment