Home » » David Almond’s fiction prizewinner is for grownups of 17, not children | Letter from Lynne Reid Banks

David Almond’s fiction prizewinner is for grownups of 17, not children | Letter from Lynne Reid Banks

Written By Unknown on Monday, November 30, 2015 | 3:31 PM

Buoyed up by David Almond’s beautiful description (21 November) of his inspiration for writing A Song for Ella Grey, which has just won the Guardian children’s book prize, I went out and bought two copies for my 12-year-old grandchildren. I trusted him, and I trusted the Guardian – I would never buy a Carnegie medal winner without reading it first.

In the first five pages there is lesbian love, swearing, drinking, and enough other indications that, once again, this is not a book for children. Children are people up to the age of 12. They are not grownups of 17. The books are going straight back to Waterstones.

Continue reading...











0 comments:

Post a Comment