Home » , , » Emma Lang keeps her Circle Eight heroes alive

Emma Lang keeps her Circle Eight heroes alive

Written By Unknown on Wednesday, February 13, 2013 | 5:13 AM

Emma Lang, whose The Circle Eight: Caleb came out last month, joins us to talk about her self-publishing journey …

Emma: The Circle Eight: Caleb is my first full-length self-published novel. It's a leap of faith that I can do this on my own, without a publisher. I've invested money and time, sweat and tears, heart and soul into this book, and in the end, my success or failure is mine to own.

I've self-published three times previously, one short story, one novella and one collection of novellas. I had beautiful covers done by a gifted cover artist and edited by others. Yet Caleb was different. It was a very large egg in the basket.

What basket, you may ask? Why, the basket of books. I have numerous baskets — one for each publisher, of course. Then I have my basket — it's purple and sparkly and carries my very own eggs.

Self-publishing is a brave new world and I've stepped into it carefully. Think of a timid swimmer dipping her toe in the water, then her foot, then the other foot and so on. You get the picture, right? :)

Why am I being so careful? I've seen many self-published books that needed more shine, a good edit (or any edit) and with covers that were less than professional. I didn't want to rush into pushing a book out to make money as quickly as possible. No, my self-published books needed care and feeding, and a deliberate, professional touch that I would be proud to put my name to.

Your next question might be, why Caleb? Why take the third book in a series and self-publish it? Because it was a book that had to be written, the end of the search for the missing Benjamin Graham, and the beginning of a new life for Caleb and Aurora.

Sometimes publishers don't want to continue a series, for various reasons, or the writer does not want to continue with that publisher. In my case, I decided to own it and finish all eight books in the series. That means six of them will be self-published. I signed up for A LOT of work, money out of my pocket for professional services for the cover, editing, promoting, and advertising.

It's worth it. The Circle Eight is a part of me, stories of a family that need to be told. As a reader, I become invested in the series I love. I have that respect for readers of my series. How could I possibly abandon the Grahams or my readers? I couldn't.

Caleb is my shiniest egg in that purple basket. It's the first of the self-published novels for the Grahams and their adventures in the Republic of Texas. I hope everyone is ready for the ride.

Here's the blurb about The Circle Eight: Caleb:

A Texas Ranger, a lady blacksmith, a fierce passion, a dangerous game. Caleb Graham has spent the last four years in too many dangerous situations to count. As a Texas Ranger, he knows no fear, or at least he never shows it. When he's sent to force a blacksmith off government-seized property, he runs face to face into the woman who will change his life.

Aurora Foster grew up on the very land the obnoxious Ranger is trying to throw her off of. Her parents and her husband died for it and there is no chance she would leave without a fight. A lady blacksmith might be an anomaly but she has the strength of the steel she forges and the courage to fight for what she believes is right.

When Aurora is inadvertently injured by Caleb, he seeks medical help from a neighboring ranch. The sprawling hacienda is full of the finer things in life and the one person Caleb never expected to see again … his youngest brother, Benjamin. Forced to flee from a man who has kept the boy captive, the trio become traveling companions in a deadly game where no one wins.

Life turns upside down and sideways for Caleb and Aurora, caught in a game neither of them expected while they desperately try to save the boy who was lost to his family. Pursued and hunted, the three of them ride for the Circle Eight ranch. The unlikely pair of rescuers fight their attraction and for their lives.

To find out more about Emma and her books, you can visit her website, www.bethwilliamson.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment